Volunteer News 6 - 2013




This volunteer news salutes Tony Irvine, PBS volunteer for 20 years, farewell’s Garageland’s Ruby Soho, and Alice and Denise. And it also features a highly accessible opportunity to be involved at PBS: Yes Radio Festival. In case you didn’t know already...


Volunteering is what PBS is all about


Well it seems we’ve lost a few great people in the last fortnight.  So it’s worthwhile putting the spotlight on volunteers who’ve help made a difference at PBS...

As a student of Criminology and Politics, Alice Fahey started volunteering at PBS in December of 2011 to increase her administrative skills. From the music library she found her way to fill in on some reception shifts outside uni hours. It was only this year, when she secured a permanent Wednesday slot during Jumpin’ the Blues, Soul Time and City Slang. Alice said she stayed on because she enjoyed the atmosphere and the people. Now that her course has finished she has scored an internship with Amnesty International working in their activism unit, getting back on her original path: international relations and development. We wish Alice all the best of luck with her new role, and thank her for all her helpful work in assisting us at PBS.

Here’s Alice on her last day, training Bill, who’ll be taking over the shift.


Denise Ferrante was a powerhouse at PBS, volunteering as a library cataloguer and assistant in the music and interviews department, as photographer as a bar person and an all round helper. A gun commencing last November, Denise even trained new volunteers.  But this was not Denise’s first stint at PBS. She used to volunteer back at St Kilda. Thanks to you Denise for being a great volunteer at PBS, and we wish you a fun and exciting adventure in China and a safe return home to Berlin.


Great volunteer Denise and volunteer coordinator Mara in March 2013



Volunteer Opportunities


PBS Radio Festival
The major annual fundraiser - PBS Radio Festival starts in May. Would you like to help out in the phone room? It's fun, and there's lots of great volunteers to meet. Training is provided. Are you handy with a computer? Do you have good data entry skills? Do you have the gift of the gab and some time available for PBS? Volunteer to take memberships over the phone. Fill out this form, and have a pen ready so you can write down your shift times! Confirmations will be sent by Thursday 26th of April.
 
What  Phone room volunteers
Days  May 13-26
Times  Shift times are between 6:00am- 12 midnight
Location  47 Easey Street Collingwood


Learning Opportunities
DO THE PBS ANNOUNCER COURSE IN 2013

PBS is running announcer courses for the following dates:

Month
Day
Dates
Teacher
June
Wednesdays
5, 12, 19, 27, 3rd July
Jen Crowley * 7 spots left
July
Mondays
1, 8, 15, 22, 29
Jenny O'Keefe * 7 spots left
August
Wednesdays
7, 14, 21, 29, 4th September
Campbell Mc Nolty
September
Mondays
2, 9, 16, 23, 30
Jenny O'Keefe
October
Wednesdays
2, 9, 16, 23, 30
Jen Crowley
November
Wednesdays
6, 13, 20, 27, 4th December
Campbell Mc Nolty

Course Cost
PBS member fee:                Full     $270               Concession  $180
PBS non member fee:        Full     $300               Concession $200

If you’re interested do the following:
1.    Email hr@pbsfm.org.au to obtain an application form
2.    Complete it [specify the month] and send it to hr@pbsfm.org.au
3.    Once payment has been processed you’ll be confirmed in the class
4.    Turn up to classes and learn a lot!




Spotlight on Tony Irvine
PBS salutes Tony Irvine, station volunteer for 20 YEARS this month!

Walk us through how you got involved at PBS
I had already been involved in Community Radio station 5MMM (Now 3D Radio) in Adelaide from 1981 to 1985, where I was an Announcer from late 1981 - 1984 and was briefly in charge of the Schools Community and Radio group (S.C.A.R.P) for about nine months in 1983.  I had been a breakfast presenter at the station in 1984 and had filled in for every show there at least once before leaving the station in late 1985.  I gave up volunteering at 5 MMM to move to Melbourne with my other synth player Chris Gaston in tow. I hoped to pursue my interest in actually making music, in particular dance music, something I work on to this day.

Fast forward to 1993, I got the Community radio bug again after discovering the radio show “Rude Mechanical” (then hosted by Nick Moore) which played a lot of the music I was interested in. After listening to the show for a few weeks, I decided to get involved in the station itself.  In 1993, I was still living in Ripponlea and could actually WALK to the St. Kilda Studios in Fitzroy street...

When did you start volunteering at PBS?
I joined PBS FM in March 1993 and began Announcing on October the same year. 

What made you want to volunteer at PBS?
As I said I got the Community radio bug again. I was always more comfortable at PBS which I felt had a stronger Community aspect to it.  (It helped that PBS and my old station 5 MMM (3D) were awfully similar in the way they were ran, right down to similar studio equipment).

What volunteer and non-volunteer roles have you done at PBS?
I had a paid position as a Trainer for the Announcer Course.  But I had to give up being a trainer to focus on my studies at NMIT...

As a volunteer, I have worked on the phones at Reception (I THINK on Wednesdays.  Hey, it WAS in 1993, be fair!)...  I was also assistant (to then) Program Manager Hugo T Armstrong and very briefly to his replacement Garry 7.  Though as Insomnia category representative, I had liaised with every Program Manager before them going back to 2002 as well as the Programming Committee before that back to 1994.  I was the Insomnia Category Representative from April 1994 to August 2010, (I even have a coffee bodum given to me by the station to prove it !) Also from time to time (whilst I briefly held an RSA), I had worked behind the Bar at PBS fundraisers, and I have answered phones during the Radio festivals (except for the year I hurt my leg).  Incidentally, the start date for this year’s Radio Festival is also my 50th birthday! 

And of course, I am the presenter of the show “IrvineJUMP!”, from October 1993 to now.

What is the most rewarding thing about volunteering?
When I joined PBS back in ’93, you had to volunteer before you could become an announcer, so like a lot of people at the time, I was receptionist one day a week, which allowed me to build up my people skills (and while I’m hardly a social butterfly, I can at least deal with people on a professional level, a fact which got me temp work as a receptionist in 2008).  Being at PBS has also allowed me to continue my music obsession and meet likeminded musically obsessed people (and indeed fellow musicians).

But my association with PBS allowed me so much more.  When I discovered the internet in 1997 (and because I didn’t have a computer at the time), then station Manager Peter Chellew gave me permission to muck about on PBS computers, ostensibly to build up my PC skills. Fast forward to 2013, and as I type this, I am sitting in Computer Lab 441 at Latrobe Uni, studying for my Bachelor of IT.  I also have an Advanced Diploma in Multimedia and an Advanced Diploma in IT networking that I gained from NMIT in 2009-2011.  And I can DIRECTLY trace my beginnings of those courses back to Peter Chellew encouraging me to play around on the PBS computers (and specifically playing around on the Internet) way back in 1997!

What advice do you have for prospective volunteers?

For those thinking about volunteering, I always say think about what you actually enjoy doing and how you can apply that to PBS (or anywhere else for that matter).  It doesn’t really matter if you have the skills to do these things because as you can see from the above example, PBS will give you the opportunity to get skills.

And you never know what skill is needed at a place like PBS.  I remember a volunteer once lamenting he was “just the guy who cleaned the toilet”.  Let me assure you: at a place like PBS, anyone who cleans the toilet should be considered a GOD! There is no “just a” as far as I’m concerned...

That said, I do understand many people become volunteers so they can become announcer (Hey, it worked for me! J...).  But you never know how your interest in something else can help you (or PBS or someone/where else for that matter).


Ruby Soho
A documentary about Joe Strummer called ‘The Future is Unwritten’ inspired Ruby Soho to bring to life Garageland: a punk/rock and garage program in 2009. Ruby said she had "no real boundaries, the only rule I’ve made for myself is to play great tunes”. Ruby proved that over her 4 year radio stint. In 2013, the program is winding up. We had a chat to Ruby about volunteering at PBS...

How did you initially get involved at PBS?
I started volunteering at PBS in 2006, I bar tended at one of the radio fest parties. I had such a great time I decided to come back more often. In the music department, reception and with events, I loved it. Then I decided to get involved presenting and I never looked back.

What made you stay?
I just loved PBS and everything about it. The people, the work and of course the music. I had never been a part of anything quite like it... it is a magical place.

What has been an on air lowlight?
Haha... My first fill in. I was terrified and had naturally got all my family and friends to tune in. I was filling in for Shock Treatment one of my favourite shows. After introducing the show very nervously... I had left the mic on and went on to say 'F@!k that was embarrassing'. I never lived that down...

What has been your on air highlight at PBS?
 The whole thing has been a pleasure! Every time I get on there I feel like I am on a different planet.. planet rad. I also got to interview some great people, a highlight would have to be having J Mascis in the studio.

What’s been the best thing about volunteering at PBS?
 The people and the fact that you know that what you are doing is going a long way. The music coming out of the airwaves is infectious and it goes all that way into making all the listeners lives a bit happier.

Where are you going now?
 The reason I have had to stop broadcasting the show is simply a matter of work hours clashing. I will still be around the station doing some fill ins and other odd jobs... but focusing on my business and spending some time travelling to.

What advice do you have for prospective volunteers?
If you are even considering coming into PBS, just do it. It is the most rewarding and inspiring organisation to be a part of. And make sure you just enjoy every part of the journey. Coming into PBS is always the highlight of my week.

Be sure to tune into PBSFM to hear Ruby’s last Garageland broadcast on Wednesday March 27 between 10 and midnight.

Congratulations once again to Tony and thanks to all the PBS volunteers for their brilliant contributions to PBS, and farewell to those who are moving on. If you want volunteer, don’t forget to check out the volunteering opportunities. The next volunteer news will be out in 2 weeks.


Fine Print Policies and Procedures

It is important for all volunteers and staff to be familiar with this. See the policies and procedures here  and http://pbs.org.au/policy. The Policies and Procedures Handbook ensures that PBS remains in safe compliance with the Codes of Practice and other relevant legislation. It also positions PBS volunteers, announcers and staff to operate with a shared, clear understanding of how things work at PBS. Please read it carefully. And if you’re inspired, why not consider becoming a PBS shareholder?

Comments

Popular Posts