PBS Volunteer News 9 - 2014

Mopping Up The Mess


Memories of the Day PBS flooded due to heavy rainpour
Left to right - Shelley, Sarah, Sam, Mara and Cam

One of my first volunteer roles at PBS was as a volunteer announcer but let me tell you - it was not an easy or quick path. There was quite the lead up to get to that stage. Here's a little story.......

One time for Christmas I got a cassette player which had a radio in it. I played my cassingles and cassette LP's. But there came a point when I ran out of cassettes. One day it occurred to me that I could use the radio part of the stereo present. I tuned in to find a whole new world out there.  In my teens I found radio and in my early to mid-teens I found community stations. Already I knew I loved them because they were local and presented by real people, and there were no ads (not like commercial stations). A light bulb turned on in my mind! Yes! I did want to be on the radio,  but NO! I didn’t know how!  Fast forward to 10 years on and I was stuck in a dead end call center job that had a 99% complaint rate! I was so far away from my secret dream of being on the radio, but then I met two friends, and (long story short) I did the announcer course and got a go on the radio - at PBS!

If it’s always been your dream to on the radio don’t delay –we’ve got opportunities coming up! We’ve also got opportunities to volunteer so read on. Before I go, I’m letting you know I’m on holidays for the next three weeks, so a wonderful Kristine Phillip will be filling in for me Mondays, Wednesday and Fridays, and she’s contactable at hr@pbsfm.org.au  
 
Kristine pictured on your right (With Ken Fargher)

PBS ANNOUNCER COURSE
Want to have a go at being a PBS announcer?
With just 2 classes left for the year, have you thought about doing the PBS announcer course? If you've never broadcast before, doing the announcer course is the first step.
We've got spots available for the announcer course in 2014:

Month
Day
Dates
Teacher
October (6)
Wednesday
1,8,15,22,29
Campbell McNolty
November
Monday
3,10,17,24, Dec 1
Jenny O'Keefe

Classes are held at the PBS studios, 47 Easey Street in Collingwood from 6:30-8:30 on the dates you can see above. Our teachers are broadcasters, and we’ll provide training manuals. If you want to do the announcer course, please send a completed application post haste to hr@pbsfm.org.au. Enquiries can be directed to the same email address.


Open Day – Many Roles!
The PBS Open Day is a day in the year where we open our doors to the public to show them what we do. Now on a daily basis we don’t display/instruct what we do, we just get on with it. So Open Day is a little bit different and we’ll need your help to show the world just what we do and how we do it! We’re looking for volunteers to assist with a BBQ, making coffee and tea for guests, greet guests, running tours, operate  studios, handling the merch table, as well as a photographer to capture the wonderful event:
  
Role
Times required
Role vacancies
BBQ        
11:35-3:10
2
Coffee and tea   
11:45-3:10
2
Studio demonstration (PBS announcer preferred)
11:45-1:30pm
1
Studio demonstration (PBS announcer preferred)
1:15-3:00
1
Meet & Greet    
11:40-3:10
4
Merchandise & membership       
11:45-3:10
2
Photographer     
2-3
1
Tour Guide          
11:30-3:10
2
Open Day artist - TBC
Deadline Oct 1/Publish date 
1

 What               Open Day Volunteers
Day & Date       Saturday 25th October
Time                As advised above
Location            PBS, 47 Easey Street Collingwood 


RABB Thursday 2nd October 2014
Door and Access Assistants
Well the next Rock A Bye Baby is due to be an exciting show and we’ll need trustworthy people and Good Samaritans to help our patrons access the building. If you’re working the door, you’ll be taking the entry fees, stamping the hands. Good communication skills as well as excellent counting skills, a friendly manner and the ability to stay cool under pressure.  If you’re assisting with access you’ll be helping patrons access and exit the building in a safe manner. If you love helping out, then chances are you’ll like this.  For those studying event management, this is a great one to do to increase your hands on/on the ground experience.
What                  Event Helper
Day & Date         Thursday 2nd October 
Time                  10:30am–12:30pm
Location             Fitzroy Town Hall


Fine Print Policies and Procedures
It is important for all volunteers and staff to be familiar with this. See the policies and procedures here and http://pbs.org.au/policy. The Policies and Procedures Handbook ensures that PBS remains in safe compliance with the Codes of Practice and other relevant legislation. It also positions PBS volunteers, announcers and staff to operate with a shared, clear understanding of how things work at PBS. Please read it carefully. And if you’re inspired, why not consider becoming a PBS shareholder?


Comments

Popular Posts